If you are considering adopting a child, you may be wondering about the process ahead. One of the first steps of the process is determining which adoption route to take. Read on to learn about your different options.
New Jersey’s Adoption Options
In New Jersey, you may adopt through the following processes:
- Domestic adoption: This is when a United States resident, chooses to adopt a child who was born in the United States. Typically, this process will involve an adoption agency.
- International adoption: Adopting a child from another country is known as international adoption. This type of adoption is much more intricate and demands a lot of travel to and from the child’s home country, so it is important you understand all it entails before proceeding.
- Second-parent adoption: A same-sex parent may adopt his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private adoption: A private adoption is when you are either adopting a child through his or her biological parent, or you are adopting a child you already know. You can usually avoid adoption agencies by taking this route.
- Step-parent adoption: This form of adoption requires either the consent of the non-custodial parent or the termination of his or her biological parental rights. This typically only occurs when there is evidence of abuse or neglect.
- Adult adoption: This typically occurs when two or more adults wish to transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation.
Adoption can be a very intensive, document-heavy process because the courts need to ensure that you are right for the child. Because of this, it is important to have a skilled family law attorney on your side to walk you through this process. Our firm is here to advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out today to speak with a dedicated and experienced attorney.
Contact our Firm
We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928