Child Support for Unmarried Parents in New Jersey | What to Know

If you and your child’s parent have split up, you are most likely wondering about the legal aspects of your situation. You are likely wondering about child support and child custody, among other things. Luckily, New Jersey courts have a system in place in order to handle these arrangements. Read on to learn more about child support for unmarried parents in New Jersey.

How Is Custody Determined for Unmarried Parents in New Jersey?

Custody plays a large role when it comes to child support.  As a result, unmarried parents who are looking to obtain custody of their child need to be aware of the differences in New Jersey custody law. When facing these situations, these parents are able to enter a non-dissolution “FD” case. This allows parents the right to the following:

  • Establish legal paternity for the child
  • Establish legal custody orders for a minor
  • Enforce child support or alimony payments
  • Create a parenting time court order for biological parents
  • Set grandparent/adult sibling visitation orders

In order to enter this case, you should speak with a knowledgeable family law attorney.

How is Child Support Determined for Unmarried Parents?

New Jersey courts are looking out for the child’s best interests. New Jersey operates under the policy that children have a right to financial support from both parents, regardless of the relationship status of the parents. This means that children are entitled to share in the current income of both parents, which is reflected in child support determinations. For unmarried parents, the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines are used to determine child support.

These guidelines apply to parties with a combined net income between $170 and $3,600 per week. There are several factors that are also considered along with the guidelines. Some of these include:

  • The income and assets of each parent
  • The earning capacity of the child
  • The age and health of the child, and any special needs they may have
  • Debts and liabilities of each child and parent
  • The custody arrangement
  • The child’s need for further education

If you have any questions or concerns regarding child support when it comes to unmarried parents in New Jersey, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your family law matters, each step of the way.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts