Does Remarriage End Alimony in New Jersey? | What to Know

calculator with money

If you are ordered to pay alimony, you may be wondering when you can stop making payments. Read on to learn more about ending alimony in the event that your spouse remarries.

What are the different types of alimony in New Jersey?

There are a number of different types of alimony awarded in New Jersey. The most common types of alimony include:

  • Open Durational Alimony: If you were married to your spouse for over 20 years and are financially dependent, you may be awarded this type of alimony. This alimony can only be terminated if you become financially dependent, or no longer require payments in the eyes of the New Jersey courts.
  • Limited Durational Alimony: Dependent spouses in short-term marriages may be entitled to this type of alimony to help them get on their feet. The amount and duration will be determined by the judge.
  • Rehabilitative Alimony: This is a short-term support structure created to help the dependant spouse further his or her education. For example, if the dependent spouse deferred his or her career goals or left the workforce to support the other spouse prior to the divorce, this type of alimony will be rewarded.
  • Reimbursement Alimony: This structure is used when one spouse decides to go back to school or receive training for a new job and the other spouse pays for it. After the divorce, the spouse that paid may be able to receive this type of alimony to reimburse them for that cost.

Can I stop paying alimony if my ex remarries?

In New Jersey, when the dependent spouse remarries, you can stop paying alimony. However, it is important that you do not stop paying alimony without permission from the court. If you refuse to pay alimony without permission from the court, you can face legal consequences, including:

  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sale
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts
  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments

If you have any questions about alimony in New Jersey, contact our firm today.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts