Frequently Asked Questions | New Jersey Child Support

If you are getting divorced and you have a child, you may be wondering about child support arrangements. Read on for a general overview of child support in New Jersey:

How is child support determined?

When a court determines child support, they are working to do what is in the child’s best interest. In order to determine this, they will consider some of the following factors:

  • The child custody arrangement you and your spouse currently have in place
  • Your child’s needs
  • You and your spouse’s earning capacity
  • You and your spouse’s age and health
  • The age and health of your child
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child is seeking higher education, such as college
  • Whether you or your spouse have any liabilities
  • You and your spouse’s standard of living
  • You and your spouse’s yearly income

Can child support be altered?

It is possible to modify your child support arrangement. Child support can either be increased or decreased, depending on the situation. In order to modify the arrangement, you will have to prove that one of the following events has occurred:

  • An increase or decrease in income
  • A change in federal income tax law
  • Loss of job, or, on the flip side, a promotion
  • A spouse remarries
  • A spouse loses their home
  • The supporting parent has suffered a significant medical injury or condition

What is the age of emancipation in New Jersey?

Child support payments can generally end when the child reaches the age of emancipation. In New Jersey, this is typically 18 years old. However, child support can be extended or terminated in certain cases. For example, child support will be extended if the child decides to pursue higher education.

What if I don’t pay child support?

If the parent responsible for paying child support stops paying before child support payments are legally terminated by the court, he or she can face legal repercussions. Some ways the child support is enforced in New :

  • Taking money directly from the defaulting parent’s wages
  • Redirecting a tax refund
  • Credit reporting
  • Seizing their property
  • Suspending their driver’s license
  • Denying them a passport
  • Taking money from a civil award, settlement, or lottery winnings

If you have any questions, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

If you need assistance with any family law issue, contact Greenberg & Walden, LLC today.

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts