How Can I Obtain a Restraining Order Against my Spouse?

If you are a survivor of domestic violence, you may need to obtain a restraining order. This can feel like a major undertaking, but there are resources to help protect you and your family. If you are interested in obtaining a restraining order, contact our firm today to discuss your options and the steps you should take. Read on to learn more about restraining orders in New Jersey.

What is a Restraining Order?

A restraining order, also called an order of protection, is a legal document that limits contact between two parties. It can require a person to stay away from another person, and his or her home, school, and work. The order can also prohibit some or all contact with the person. Restraining orders are granted for assault, harassment, terroristic threats, and mental abuse, among other forms of abuse.

How Can I Get One?

If you wish to obtain a restraining order, you should go to your local police station. Sometimes, victims of domestic violence feel unable to go to the police because their spouse works in law enforcement or has friends in law enforcement. In this case, you can also go to your local family court. You will likely be issued a temporary restraining order (TRO) while legal matters are settled. You will have to attend a hearing, where you will allege and prove that the other person committed certain crimes against you. Depending on the court’s findings, a temporary restraining order may become permanent. Our firm can help you gather evidence and support you throughout the hearing.

It is important to know that there are resources for survivors of domestic violence. Often, a domestic violence situation can feel isolating, but it happens more than many people realize. If you are involved in a domestic violence situation, know that you are not alone. Our firm is here to help protect you each step of the way and work to make sure that you and your family live safe and healthy lives.

If you have any questions regarding restraining orders in New Jersey and how to obtain one, do not hesitate to contact our firm to speak with a skilled and empathetic attorney.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts