How is a Court Order Enforced in New Jersey?

When the court approves divorce and family law matters, they will issue a court order to finalize it. It is important to be aware that these orders are considered the law. Therefore, they are required to be followed. If a parent or former spouse refuses to cooperate and ignores the order, there are ways that it can be enforced. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New Jersey attorney for assistance.

When is a Court Order Violated?

In New Jersey, there are many different types of court orders that may be mandated. With matters of divorce or family law, this may be in regard to child custody, child support, visitation, alimony payments, and equitable distribution of property. If one party does not abide by the court order, it is considered a violation. This may take place in the event of the following:

  • The child’s other parent is not following a visitation plan
  • Child support or alimony payments are not being made
  • The former spouse is disobeying court orders regarding the division of property
  • Penalties for contempt of court/Being accused of contempt of court

How is a Court Order Enforced?

It is possible to try and handle the situation on your own when a former spouse or parent to your child does not follow a court order. This can be done by discussing the matter with them in hopes that they can begin to do their part. However, if this does not work, the order can be legally enforced by the court. In New Jersey, this can begin by filing a motion known as an Order Enforcing Litigant’s Rights. If they still do not cooperate with the court order, they can be held in contempt of court. This can result in certain consequences. Sometimes, the individual can be arrested if there are no other options left. If your former spouse or parent of your child is not following a court order, retain the services of an experienced attorney who can help you get the order enforced.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928.

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts