I Lost my New Jersey Divorce Decree | What to Know

wedding bands concept

We all lose important items from time to time. If you have lost your divorce decree, read on to learn more.

Why would I need my divorce decree?

You may be wondering why it matters that you’ve lost your divorce decree, after all, your divorce has been finalized and the process is over. It is important to know that a number of situations will require your divorce decree. For example, you will need your divorce decree in order to remarry in the future. This is because, in New Jersey, it is illegal to be married to more than one person at a time. In order to apply for your new marriage license, you will need to be able to prove that your previous marriage has officially and legally ended.

Another common situation that may require your divorce decree is changing your last name. After a divorce, many people wish to revert back to their maiden name. To do so, you will have to go to the court and show your divorce decree as evidence of why you want to change your last name. After changing your last name, you will have to go through the process of updating your identification, including your driver’s license, passport, credit cards, and more. You may have to show your divorce decree in order to complete this process as well.

You will also need your divorce decree when it comes to refinancing your home to prove that you are truly divorced, rather than trying to simply remove your spouse from your mortgage.

What if I lost my divorce decree?

If you have lost your divorce decree, you still have options. New Jersey divorce decrees are available through the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center. It is important to note that there may be a fee associated with obtaining a copy of your divorce decree.

If you have any questions or concerns about your divorce decree or any other legal documents, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated divorce attorney. Our firm will advocate for you.

Contact our Firm

If you need assistance with any family law issue, contact Greenberg & Walden, LLC today.

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts