It is important for people to be safe while operating any type of vehicle. While bicycles are the most simple mode of transportation other than simply walking, it is important to remember that it can be very dangerous. Bicycles offer riders little to no protection from hazards that are out on the road. It is because of this that it is crucial for riders to implement the right safety precautions. As May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our experienced New Jersey law firm compiled a list of safety tips to follow while out riding:
- Ensure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. Bikes have many moving parts that need to work properly so it can function. Be sure to check and see that it is in good condition, check the brakes, fill the tires to the correct air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. Bikers should also be sure to use the proper hand signals so that they can let motor vehicles know where they are going, such as making a turn or switching lanes.
- Always wear a helmet. While any helmet does the job, it is best to have one that meets the standards set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC).
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. This includes obeying all traffic signs and traffic lights, not biking under the influence, and more.
- Make yourself visible. Wearing bright colors allow you to be seen by other motor vehicles when you are on the road. In addition to this, wearing reflective gear at night can accomplish the same.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. While accidents can happen in many ways, is your job as a rider to do everything you can to prevent it. This includes paying attention to surroundings and following the rules of the road at all times.
While these are all great tips to keep in mind in order to protect yourself while riding a bike, it is the unfortunate truth that accidents can happen anyway. In the event that it does and you sustain serious injuries, it is important to know that a negligent driver can be held liable. When pursuing legal action to recover compensation, be sure to retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney for help.
Contact our Firm
We understand the implications of a serious accident. If you believe you were injured due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are more than willing to help you recover the compensation you need to get your life back on track. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928.