Parental Alienation in New Jersey | What to Know

Marriages do not always end well. Unfortunately, young children can easily become involved in a messy divorce. In some cases, a parent will engage in parental alienation. This means that the parent is actively attempting to interfere with the child’s relationship with their other parent. This is dangerous and can cause significant harm to a child. As a result, it is important that you are aware of parental alienation, what it looks like, and what you can do about it.

What Does Parental Alienation Look Like?

Parental alienation can be anything from passive jabs about the other parent to actively manipulating a child. Regardless, parental alienation can have a devastating impact on a child and their relationship with both parents. In fact, parental alienation can result in childhood trauma. When a young, impressionable child is fed certain information, it can alter their perspectives. Children trust their parents and believe what they say. As a result, a child’s views toward their parent may change, having a negative impact on their relationship.

How Can I Prove Parental Alienation?

Parental alienation can be difficult to prove. In some cases, a child’s behavior will change as a result of parental alienation. For example, if they have been told a number of negative things about you, they may start to act aggressively or get upset when in your presence. If this occurs, it is important to document this behavior. Additionally, if your ex-spouse makes disparaging remarks to you, it is important to keep track of this. For example, you should make sure to preserve any relevant text messages or voicemails. Additionally, if your ex-spouse is posting about you on social media, you should make sure to screenshot these posts.

How Can I Stop Parental Alienation?

One solution to parental alienation is a change in your custody arrangement. If a parent is engaging in parental alienation, he or she is violating your custody agreement. Parental alienation means that the parent is refusing to co-parent and creating a harmful environment for their child. If a parent is not looking out for their child’s best interests, custody may need to be altered to keep the child from this environment.

If you believe you and your child are victims of parental alienation, contact our firm today to discuss your situation with an experienced family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts