What are Some Common Parenting Time Issues in New Jersey?

child moving boxes

It is not uncommon for parenting time issues to occur. However, if it is becoming constant and is negatively impacting you and your child, contact our firm today to speak with our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys. Our firm can help you navigate through this process and ensure you and your child’s best interests always come first.

What are the two most common parenting time issues for parents who are sharing custody?

Many conflicts can arise between parents who are sharing custody of their child. It is critical to understand the most common parenting time issues and what to do if you are facing them. The two most common types include the following:

1. If one parent denies the other parent access to their child.

Here is an issue that typically arises and is when one parent tries to keep the child from spending time with the other parent. It is unfortunately very common for parents to try to deny the other parent access to their child, even though there may be a custody order in place. An example of this can include if a parent cancels scheduled visitation by insisting that the child has told them that they do not want to see the other parent. Another instance of this is frequently cutting the parenting time short. For any of these problems, it is essential that the parent who is not getting just visitation accumulate evidence of these actions by their former spouse. After this evidence is obtained, they should next go to court to request enforcement.

2. If one parent does not show up for parenting time.

Another common issue arises between two parents who share custody if one parent does not show up for their assigned parenting time. In this case, the other parent may face extreme difficulties making arrangements. The other parent has been left to make last-second childcare arrangements. It is usual for spur-of-the-moment childcare to be hard to attain, which can end in the parent missing work or having to cancel important plans. The parent who is now unable to rely on their former spouse to show up for their parenting time should then find as much evidence as possible of these incidents. Then they should then attend court to ask about a modification of the custody order so that it can better match the variation of the current schedule.

If you are facing the negative effects of either of these unfortunate situations, it is recommended that you reach out to our firm as soon as possible. Contact us today to review your case and determine how our legal team can best help you. Our family law attorneys are committed to ensuring that you and your child’s best interests come are prioritized.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts