When preparing to go through a divorce, it is important for spouses to be aware that they are not required to complete the process through litigation. There are other alternatives available to them, such as mediation. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New Jersey divorce attorney for assistance with your divorce.
What is Mediation?
When spouses are able to work together, they may benefit from going through mediation to complete their divorce. Through this method, both parties can participate in productie negotiations about the terms of their divorce. This can include discussions regarding matters such as child custody, child support, the division of assets, and alimony. Mediation is guided by an unbiased third-party mediator whose job is to help spouses make their own decisions.
What are the Benefits of Mediation?
There are several benefits to divorce mediation, including the following:
- Control: Spouses have control over making their decisions.
- Confidentiality: The information shared in mediation cannot be discussed with anyone else or used against either spouse.
- Speed: The length of mediation takes only as long as couples need to settle the issues they have to resolve.
- Cost: Mediation is more cost-effective. Trials can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Mediation is voluntary, as spouses have the choice to participate.
- Family: Mediation facilitates healthy conversations, which can benefit any couple that has family involved.
How Does Mediation End?
When spouses reach agreements regarding the terms of their divorce, the mediator can draft a Memorandum of Understanding. This is a document that details the decisions that were made. This will be given to each attorney to create a Matrimonial Settlement Agreement. Once it is signed by both parties, they can go to court as an uncontested divorce. A judge can then finalize the divorce and the proceedings are over.
Contact our Firm
We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928.