What to Know About Post-Divorce Modifications in New Jersey

When a couple gets divorced, there are a lot of different matters that will need to be worked out. You may agree upon certain child support, child custody, and alimony arrangements. But, as your life and circumstances change, these arrangements may no longer work. In a case like this, you may need to request a post-divorce modification. Read on to learn more about post-divorce modifications in New Jersey.

What Can be Modified?

The following agreements can be modified under certain conditions: 

  • Child Custody: If either a parent or child experiences changes in their lives and the current custody agreement no longer works, it can be modified. 
  • Child Support: If a person owes their former spouse child support payments and their financial situation changes, either party may request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.
  • Spousal Maintenance: If one former-spouse experiences any changes major in their financial or personal situation, they can request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.

What Circumstances Might Call for a Modification? 

In order for a former spouse to receive a modification, they are required to prove there is a significant and ongoing change in their life that requires the modification. This can be difficult to prove, so you may need to contact an experienced family law attorney. The following are several reasons why a post-divorce modification may be needed:

  • Their child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support 
  • Their child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  • Either party begins living with another person and no longer needs spousal support
  • If the child’s schedule changes, current custody, parenting, and visitation arrangements may no longer work and need to be adjusted
  • If either former spouse receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., a change in the spousal or child support payment amount may be needed
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

If you have any questions or concerns about post-divorce modifications in New Jersey, contact our firm to speak with a skilled family law attorney today.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-514-2360 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts