Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in West New York, NJ
Hudson County is home to many scenic walkways and pedestrian plazas. Although traffic laws generally require motorists to look for and yield to pedestrians, all too frequently, that does not happen. This often results in serious and sometimes fatal pedestrian accidents. At Greenberg & Walden, LLC, our Jersey City lawyers are dedicated to representing pedestrians who have been injured by negligent motorists. If you or someone you love has been victimized in any type of pedestrian accident, we can explain your legal options and help ensure the negligent party is held accountable. For strong legal representation when it matters most, contact Greenberg & Walden, LLC today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
As some of the most vulnerable travelers on America’s roads, pedestrians are often the victims of traffic accidents, particularly when crashes occur at or around intersections. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that every 7 minutes, a pedestrian in the U.S. is injured in a traffic accident. Additionally, every 2 hours, a pedestrian is killed in a crash. In an attempt to make the roads safer for pedestrians, transportation authorities in Jersey City have recently rolled out a new campaign called “Vision Zero,” intending to eliminate all traffic fatalities and catastrophic injuries by 2026. Most commonly, the poor choices and misconduct of motorists cause pedestrian accidents. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving or programming a GPS while driving
- Drunk or drugged driving, which can include driving under the influence of prescription or over-the-counter drugs that may impair a motorist’s ability to safely operate a vehicle
- Failures to abide by traffic laws, such as failing to yield the right of way, failing to comply with traffic signals, and speeding.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Pedestrian Accident?
Motorists are not the only ones who can be liable for pedestrian accidents. In some cases, other parties may also be negligent and held accountable for these accidents. Determining all liable parties ensures injured pedestrians obtain the full amount of compensation they are entitled to. The parties liabile for a pedestrian accident will depend on its specific causes and forms of negligence that played a role in the accident. Generally, the following groups can be held accountable for a pedestrian accident:
- Motorists, if their negligence or recklessness causes an accident
- Motor carriers, if their negligence causes one of their commercial truck drivers to crash
- Automakers or automotive equipment manufacturers, if faulty vehicle equipment contributes to an accident
- Government entities, if public transportation vehicles or unsafe roads/sidewalks cause an accident
Recovering Compensation After an Accident
After analyzing the available facts and evidence, the pedestrian accident attorneys at Greenberg & Walden, LLC can help you identify all parties accountable for your pedestrian accident. Once you have determined who is liable, you can start taking action to recover the compensation you deserve. Even if you were partly responsible for your accident, you may still be eligible for compensation. New Jersey’s Modified Comparative Fault, 51 percent Bar Rule permits victims to seek compensation as long as they are 50 percent or less at fault for the accident. To determine the amount of compensation you will receive, you must first assess the nature of the negligence that caused the accident and the damages caused as a result. You may be entitled to compensation for your:
- Emergency medical care, ambulance services, surgery, hospitalization, and other medical bills
- Lost wages, including past and future lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Damaged property
- Pain and suffering
Contact a Hudson County Accident Attorney
Have you been seriously injured in a Hudson County pedestrian accident? If so, a pedestrian accident attorney at Greenberg & Walden, LLC can explain your legal options as well as help you seek the compensation and justice you deserve. The attorneys at Greenberg & Walden, LLC have more than 150 years of combined legal experience. This empowers us with the knowledge and skills to provide exceptional representation, personal service, innovative solutions, and successful outcomes. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.