Post-Divorce Modifications in New Jersey | What to Know

When you get divorced, a number of matters will need to be resolved. In order to finalize a divorce, you will have to agree upon things like child custody, child support, spousal support, and more. As time goes on, these arrangements may no longer work with your current situation. If this occurs, you may need to request a post-divorce modification. Read on to learn more about the process.

What arrangements can be modified?

When it comes to modifications, you may be able to modify the following arrangements: 

  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Spousal Maintenance

How can I get a modification? 

It can be hard to obtain a modification. This is because when matters of divorce are determined, they are carefully decided in order to be fair to both parties, so changing them can be difficult. In order to obtain a modification, you will have to prove that your situation has changed drastically and permanently. Some examples of this include:

  1. Their child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support 
  2. Their child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  3. Either party begins living with another person and no longer needs spousal support
  4. If the child’s schedule changes, current custody, parenting, and visitation arrangements may no longer work and need to be adjusted
  5. If either former spouse receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., a change in the spousal or child support payment amount may be needed
  6. If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

Can modifications be enforced?

If a judge calls for a modification, and one party does not adhere to the new arrangements, a New Jersey court may need to enforce the modifications. This may be done through:

  • Compensatory time with the children
  • Economic sanctions
  • Modifying transportation arrangements
  • Pick-up and return of the children in public spaces
  • Counseling for children or parents
  • Temporary or permanent modifications to the arrangement
  • Participation by the violating parent in an approved community service program
  • Incarceration

If you have any questions or concerns about post-divorce modifications, reach out to our firm today.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts