Everybody knows that it is not okay to drink and drive. Unfortunately, the simple fact that it is both illegal and unsafe does not deter everyone from doing it. If you are someone who was injured by a drunk driver in a crash, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help with your recovery. Here are some of the questions you may have about the process going forward:

How do I sue a drunk driver?

To win any personal injury claim, you must prove that you were injured due to another party’s negligence. However, this is sometimes easier said than done, which is why you must hire an experienced attorney who is ready to help you attain the justice you deserve.

How can an attorney help me win my claim?

An experienced attorney with extensive knowledge about personal injury law knows what it takes to win a claim. Furthermore, your attorney will work to recover various types of useful evidence and effectively present it to help prove your claim. Your attorney may use photographic or video evidence of the accident, pictures of the accident’s aftermath, medical documents detailing the severity of your injuries, police reports documenting how the accident happened, witness statements verifying your claim, and more.

What is the New Jersey dram shop law?

Dram shop laws are designed so that victims of drunk driving accidents can hold third-parties that serve alcohol accountable as well. The dram shop law in New Jersey states that any establishment that serves alcohol either to a minor or to someone who was visibly intoxicated may be held liable for an accident. Therefore, if a bar served a minor and the minor later gets behind the wheel and causes an accident, you may hold both the bar and the motorist accountable for their actions.

What is the statute of limitations in the state of New Jersey?

The statute of limitations is the timeframe you have to file a personal injury claim. In the state of New Jersey, the statute of limitations is two years. This means that if you were injured by a drunk driver, you will have two years from the date of your accident to pursue a lawsuit against the negligent party. Do not wait. If you do and the two-year mark goes by, there is a very good chance you will lose your right to sue. Do not let this happen. Speak with our firm as soon as you can.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand the implications of a serious accident. If you believe you were injured due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are more than willing to help you recover the compensation you need to get your life back on track. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928.

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts