When getting divorced, one of the first decisions you will have to make is which divorce method to use. One of the most popular methods is mediation. Read on to learn more about mediation and some of the other options you may have.
Divorce Options in New Jersey:
Litigation is a common method. This process takes place in court. Here, an experienced judge will make decisions about the matters of your divorce. These decisions may include child custody arrangements, child support, alimony payments, and more.
Mediation allows couples to divorce outside of the courtroom. This process involves a neutral third party helping the couple work through the matters of their divorce to find unique solutions. Once spouses make their decisions, the mediator can present a signed document to the court.
Another alternative method for divorce is arbitration. Similar to mediation, this also involves a third party. However, the processes differ in the sense that the third party in arbitrated divorces acts as a judge instead of a mediator. They can make all decisions regarding the couple’s marital issues for them.
Couples who go through a collaborative divorce each have their own attorney there to represent them, and all parties must work together to find an arrangement that works best for the couple.
What are the Benefits of Mediation?
While there are a number of different divorce methods, mediation is one of the most popular. This is because it offers the following benefits:
- Control: Spouses have control over making their decisions. The matters are in your hands, rather than the hands of a judge.
- Confidentiality: The information shared in mediation cannot be discussed with anyone else or used against either spouse. Additionally, matters finalized through the court can become public record.
- Speed: The length of mediation takes only as long as couples need to settle the issues they have to resolve.
- Cost: Mediation is more cost-effective. Trials can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Mediation is voluntary, as spouses have the choice to participate.
- Family: Mediation facilitates healthy conversations, which can benefit any couple that has family involved.
If you are interested in learning more about mediation, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through the process every step of the way.
Contact our Firm
We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928