New Jersey Child Support | Frequently Asked Questions

calculator with money

Child support is a complex matter. Luckily, we have broken down some of the most frequently asked questions. Read on to learn more.

How Does the Court Determine the Amount of Child Support Payments?

When a court determines child support, there are a lot of different factors that are taken into account. Some of these factors include:

  • The child custody arrangement you and your spouse currently have in place
  • Your child’s needs
  • You and your spouse’s earning capacity
  • You and your spouse’s age and health
  • The age and health of your child
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child is seeking higher education, such as college
  • Whether you or your spouse have any liabilities
  • You and your spouse’s standard of living
  • You and your spouse’s yearly income

Can child support be modified?

As you can see, there is a lot that goes into making a decision regarding child support. As a result, it can be difficult to make modifications to the arrangement. That being said, if you can prove that a major and permanent change has occurred, you may be able to increase or decrease payments. Some examples of this include:

  • An increase or decrease in income
  • A change in federal income tax law
  • Loss of job, or, on the flip side, a promotion
  • A spouse remarries
  • A spouse loses their home
  • The supporting parent has suffered a significant medical injury or condition

When does child support end?

Child support payments can generally end when the child reaches the age of emancipation. In New Jersey, this is typically 18-years-old. But, child support can be extended or terminated depending on the situation. For example, child support will be extended if the child decides to pursue higher education. If the parent responsible for paying child support stops paying before child support payments are legally terminated, he or she can face legal repercussions. Some ways the child support if enforced include:

  • Taking money directly from the defaulting parent’s wages
  • Redirecting a tax refund
  • Credit reporting
  • Seizing their property
  • Suspending their driver’s license
  • Denying them a passport
  • Taking money from a civil award, settlement, or lottery winnings

If you have any questions or concerns about child support, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced attorney.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts