Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey | What to Know

A divorce is a major life change. After the end of their marriages, people choose to move, work different jobs, remarry, and so on. Therefore, your life during the divorce may be extremely different from your life after your divorce. This means that the arrangements you made during your divorce may cease to work for your current situation. If this occurs, you may need to request a post-judgment modification.

What Can be Modified?

The following agreements can be modified under certain conditions: 

What Circumstances Might Call for a Modification? 

In order to obtain a modification, you will have to prove to a New Jersey court that the modification is necessary. Some examples of this include:

  1. Their child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support 
  2. Their child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  3. Either party begins living with another person and no longer needs spousal support
  4. If the child’s schedule changes, current custody, parenting, and visitation arrangements may no longer work and need to be adjusted
  5. If either former spouse receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., a change in the spousal or child support payment amount may be needed
  6. If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

How Are Modifications Enforced?

If your former spouse does not adhere to a court-ordered modification, it is important to know that a modification can be enforced. Some ways that New Jersey courts enforce modifications include:

  • Compensatory time with the children
  • Economic sanctions
  • Modifying transportation arrangements
  • Pick-up and return of the children in public spaces
  • Counseling for children or parents
  • Temporary or permanent modifications to the arrangement
  • Participation by the violating parent in an approved community service program
  • Incarceration
  • Issuance of a warrant if violations continue

If you are in need of a post-judgment modification, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through the process and advocate for you and your family.

Contact our Firm

We understand how emotional and difficult matters of family law can be. If you need the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney to help protect your right to your family, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced firm. We are eager and dedicated to helping you through this difficult time. Our personal injury specialists at Greenberg & Walden, LLC are standing by for a free initial consultation. Call us at 201-528-6928

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts