When Can I Stop Paying Child Support in New Jersey?

hundred dollar bills

If you have questions or concerns about your child support arrangement, read on to learn more.

How is child support determined in New Jersey?

Child support is designed to ensure that the child’s standard of living is the same as, or better than, before the divorce. In order to make this decision, a judge will consider the following factors:

  • The child custody arrangement you and your spouse currently have in place
  • Your child’s needs
  • You and your spouse’s earning capacity
  • You and your spouse’s age and health
  • The age and health of your child
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child is seeking higher education, such as college
  • Whether you or your spouse have any liabilities
  • You and your spouse’s standard of living
  • You and your spouse’s yearly income

When can I stop paying child support?

You cannot stop paying child support until declared by the court. Generally, child support may end when a child reaches the age of emancipation. In New Jersey, the age of emancipation is typically 19 years old. However, this is not set in stone. There are many cases in which a court will extend child support payments past the age of 19. For example, if your child chooses to pursue higher education, child support may be extended until the child is 23 years old. 

Can I terminate child support early?

Child support may also be terminated early. This can occur if your child is over the age of 18 and you can prove to the court that they are financially independent. If the court finds your child to be independent, support payments can end. It is important to know that you cannot stop paying child support until it is officially ruled by a New Jersey court. If you do not pay your court-ordered child support, you can face serious legal repercussions. A court may enforce child support in the following ways:

  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sale
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts
  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments

If you have any questions or concerns about child support in New Jersey, contact our firm today.

Contact our Firm

If you need assistance with any family law issue, contact Greenberg & Walden, LLC today.

Call 201-854-2200 or Message Us for a Free Consultation & Important Answers about Your Legal Options | Hablamos Español


Read Our Latest Blog Posts